Kelly from Sounding My Barbaric Gulp! picked the pumpkin muffins this week. Let’s get to know more about her!
1. When did you start baking?
When I joined TWD earlier this year. I’ve always liked cooking, but I was never much of a baker. I joined the group to learn how to bake!
2. Do you have a favorite baking memory?
My Grandma Martin made the best cookies. I remember visiting her when I was a child and baking her Chocolate Nut Drops. In college, she’d send me care packages of cookies all the time.
3. Who is your TWD blog idol?
Really…everyone who completes the recipes each week. With my schedule, I can only do one about every other week. I admire those who consistently bake!
4. What has been your favorite TWD recipe so far?
I liked the Florida Pie and the Banana Loaf the best so far. In fact, I am teaching a cooking class in March that features TWD recipes, including those two!
5. What recipe are you dying to make that no one has picked yet?
I am surprised no one has picked the Berry Cream Cheese Torte (page 241) or the White Chocolate Brownies (110). I’d love to make those…and biscuits. I missed the sour cream biscuits. Oh, and rice pudding!
6. What 2 questions would you ask Dorie if you ever met her?
I’d want to ask her how she comes up with her recipes, but I’d bet she’s been asked that many times before. Instead, I am sure I’d be tongue tied. I usually get that way when I met celebrities!
7. Share one food item that best describes the last year of your life. (example: “frozen pizza” because I did a 180-degree turn this year, or “cinnamon roll” because it had lots of twists and turns but overall was pretty sweet)
Hmm…probably angel food cake. To make that cake, you have to do lots of sifting, then turn it upside down to cool. I got divorced in January and have had to, in a way, sift through my life to figure out what was important. As a result, my life has been–literally–turned up side down. Does that make sense? ;-)
8. What one item in the kitchen best describes you and your personality?
My bright red KitchenAid blender….I like to “mix it up”!
9. What’s your favorite band or CD of all time?
I don’t know that I have one of all time, but right now I am really digging Death Cab for Cutie.
10. If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it be?
Paris. I’ve never been there, but some friends of mine just spent a few years there and they loved it. I’m sure I would, too.
11. Complete the statement “I recommend…” (it can be a show, movie, book, restaurant, website, activity, etc.)
…that everyone treat themselves to good food and good wine on a regular basis. For me, that’s essential to a good life.
12. If you knew could you try anything and not fail (and money was no object), what dream would you attempt?
Writing a book.
13. What super-power would you most like to have, and why?
Telekinesis…I want to move stuff with my mind.
14. If you had 1 hour of free time, no distractions, what would you do?
Yoga, then reading.
15. What is the meal and dessert you would choose as your very last?
Funny you should ask! One of the other cooking classes I am teaching soon features all recipes from the book My Last Supper, where chefs explain what they’d choose for their last meals. I’d have to have champagne, a really good cheeseburger and fries, and yellow cake with chocolate icing. And macaroni & cheese.
16. What is the “strangest” food you ever ate?
Freshly-killed dove. It was tasty. And even though it’s not very strange, I ate frog legs for the first time earlier this month!
17. What are three adjectives that describe you?
opinionated, creative, passionate
18. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
I am very proud of the fact that I completed a masters degree in English and taught at the college level.
19. Have you ever met a famous person? who?
Yes. I’ve met Tyler Florence (aka Hot Tyler), Morimoto (He was nice, but I was super intimidated!), and author Chuck Palahniuk (He wrote Fight Club).
20. What’s your favorite spice?
21. Do you speak another language? (If yes, say something and translate)
Unfortunately, no. Guess I’ll have to learn French before I can move to Paris!
22. Do you have any pets? (List what kind of pet, names etc)
I have a cat named Oliver and a beagle named Lewis. Lewis is terrified of Oliver.
23. Are you a ‘morning’ or ‘night’ person?
Night. I hate mornings. Hate.
24. What was the last book you read?
I am currently reading two books…Talking with My Mouth Full (a food book by NPR’s Bonny Wolf) and Nineteen Minutes (by Jodi Picoult). As far as the last one I finished…Beowulf. I was teaching it to my European Studies class.
25. “2 Truths And a Lie” – Share 3 unique things about yourself and your life, 2 of them true, 1 false, and let the group guess which one isn’t true.
(1) I am terrified of frogs.
(2) I’ve always wanted to earn a pilot’s license.
(3) I used to work as a riverboat deckhand.