Time to learn more about the (crazy) person that started our little ol baking group: Laurie from Quirky Cupcake. She hosted the Brown Sugar-Pecan Shortbread page 127 back on January 1, 2008. (Wow, can you believe its almost been a year?)
1. When did you start baking?
My Grandmothers are both fabulous bakers. They both encouraged me to get into the kitchen and help them. I was probably about 5 when I started helping them bake cookies. On my own, I was a teenager when I really got into baking my own stuff.
2. Do you have a favorite baking memory?
Every year my Gram Reeser makes 10 different kinds of Christmas cookies. I love to be there when she does it. Its pure tasty madness.
3. Who is your TWD blog idol?
I appreciate everyone that does TWD on a weekly basis. Its a commitment to participate every week. I do have blogs that I check out every single week. CB, Nikki, Holly, Peabody, Jaime, Tommi, Shari, Mari.. just to name a few off the top of my head.
4. What has been your favorite TWD recipe so far?
Oh my. This is a tough one. I do not think I can pick just one. I have loved the brioche raisin snails, the sticky buns, the back and white chocolate cake, the pecan sour cream biscuits and brown sugar apple cheesecake. To be honest, there have been very few I havent liked.
5. What recipe are you dying to make that no one has picked yet?
THE COVER CAKE!
6. What 2 questions would you ask Dorie if you ever met her?
I would ask her what her favorite meal is, and what her last meal would be.
8. What one item in the kitchen best describes you and your personality?
Kitchen Sink Cookies.. because right now, I am trying to shove too much into my days. I have over committed myself and I am paying dearly for it.
9. What’s your favorite band or CD of all time?
10. If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it be?
In Reading, Pa where all my Grandparents live. They are all getting older and I would love to spend an entire year with them, and let the kids have that time with them.
11. Complete the statement “I recommend…” (it can be a show, movie, book, restaurant, website, activity, etc.)
True Blood..the new show on HBO. Its ah-mazing. Love it!
12.If you knew could you try anything and not fail (and money was no object), what dream would you attempt?
A bakery or cafe.
13. What super-power would you most like to have, and why?
The ability to alter time.
14. If you had 1 hour of free time, no distractions, what would you do?
Catch up on my tv shows rotting away on my tivo. Second choice would be to sleep. I can always use more.
15. What is the meal and dessert you would choose as your very last?
A well seasoned rare steak, my Grams mac and cheese, garlic sticks, roasted corn on the cob, and a tray of french pastries.
16. What is the “strangest” food you ever ate?
I am not into the strange foods. Maybe a chocolate covered grasshopper? I didnt know that was what I was eating till after. I was not pleased.
17. What are three adjectives that describe you?
Thoughtful, goofy, quirky, loyal, lazy, fun, and right now hungry.
18. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
I am a good Mom.
19. Have you ever met a famous person? who?
Gwen Stefani. I passed out in the front row of a Goo Goo Dolls, No Doubt, Bush concert. They took me down to red cross and No Doubt was coming out of their dressing room. She asked if I was ok, as they wheeled me by. Hilarious.
20. What’s your favorite spice?
Salt. It can make or break a recipe for me.
21. Do you speak another language? (If yes, say something and translate)
Nope. I did take spanish in high school, but I have forgotten all of it.
22. Do you have any pets? (List what kind of pet, names etc)
No pets currently. However, I think a siamese fighting fish will be joining us on Christmas. And the boys are on us about getting a dog. Maybe next year sometime.
23. Are you a ‘morning’ or ‘night’ person?
Night for sure. I hate the morning. Best part is consuming lots and lots of coffee.
24. What was the last book you read?
Man, umm, Im unsure, its been a while since I had time to read. In the past few years, I tore through every Nicholas Sparks book. I am sure he was the last author I read.
25. “2 Truths And a Lie” – Share 3 unique things about yourself and your life, 2 of them true, 1 false, and let the group guess which one isn’t true.
(1) I have 5 brothers.
(2) I love jello.
(3) I told my high school guidance counselor I wanted to be a mattress tester as my career.