Today we are learning all about Andrea of Andrea in the kitchen.
Andrea picked out today’s Coconut-Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise.
She lives in Darwin, Australia, and had 2 adorable boys.
Lets find out more about her.
1. When did you start baking?
From about 10. I had my dad’s copy of the Kids Betty Crocker cookbook from the 50’s. I still use the butterscotch brownie recipe from that book. I am teaching my boys (2 and 5) to cook- great fun
2. What is your favorite kitchen tool?
My KitchenAid. I can never go back to hand mixers again!
3. Which TWD blog is your favorite?
My fav would have to Steph from Whisk and Spoon- It was through her blog I heard about the TWD group which lead to me getting hubby to bring the book back from the States (still not in bookstores in Darwin).
4. What has been your favorite TWD recipe so far?
The Tartest Lemon Tart followed closely by the Dacquoise
5. What TWD recipe has been a dud for you?
The Real Butterscotch Pudding- just not for me.
6. Which recipe are you dying to make that no one has picked yet?
The chestnut cake, I almost picked that one as this is as close to autumn as we get but decided to go tropical instead.
7. If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it be?
New York or Paris- enough culinary variety to keep me going for a while in both of those cities. Would love to go to cooking school in both of these cities but not speaking French yet involves one more step.
8. If you knew could you try anything and not fail (and money was no object), what would you attempt?
Pastry school followed by Wedding Cake business.
9. If you could have a superpower, which one would it be, and why?
The ability to make 2 and 5 year olds see reason (and go to bed when told).
10. If you had a day to yourself, what would you do?
Sit down with my pile of cookbooks and read, plan and scheme. Then break out some of the cutters and sugar work tools that came in the mail recently, and decorate a cake or two!
11. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
Chang, which is Nepalese ‘beer’ made with fermented rice and river water. It is chunky, tastes a lot like off milk, and due to the river water a great way to lose 3 kg overnight! I piked out so Matthew (good husband) had to finish of my serve and since he obviously liked it so much they gave him another cup. Good times!
12. What kitchen tool would you purchase for yourself if money were no object?
Bring on the deck oven baby!
13. Give us three adjectives to describe yourself.
Passionate, opinionated, sensitive. (read, easy to pick on!)
14. What spice do you use over and over again?
15. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Actress, doesn’t every kid go through that stage?