One year ago today, my youngest son, Colby, was diagnosed with epilepsy. It has been a long and sometimes frustrating year. After trying countless medications and dosages, Colby has been seizure free for 3 weeks. This is huge for Colby and our family!
Normally, I do not like to post fundraisers on TWD. However, this cause is really important to me and my family. We will be walking in the Fun Run Walk for Epilepsy in Pittsburgh on June 19th. Please donate to the Epilepsy Foundation in support of our team!
Just a few facts about epilepsy:
- Epilepsy affects over 3 million Americans of all ages – more than multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and Parkinson’s disease combined. Almost 500 new cases of epilepsy are diagnosed every day in the United States. Epilepsy affects 50,000,000 people worldwide.
- In two-thirds of patients diagnosed with epilepsy, the cause is unknown.
- Epilepsy can develop at any age and can be a result of genetics, stroke, head injury, and many other factors.
- In over thirty percent of patients, seizures cannot be controlled with treatment. Uncontrolled seizures may lead to brain damage and death. Many more have only partial control of their seizures.
- The severe epilepsy syndromes of childhood can cause developmental delay and brain damage, leading to a lifetime of dependency and continually accruing costs—both medical and societal.
Edited: I will hold a raffle for all TWD members that donate to the Epilepsy Foundation by June 15th. Click here to donate. The winner will receive an autographed copy of Dorie’s new book, Around My French Table, out this fall AND an autographed copy of Paris Sweets from Dorie herself.
I am excited to announce the winner of the logo contest! Thanks so much to ALL who entered. Its amazing what you guys can come up with. Without further ado.. our new logo!
Many thanks to Jaime of Good Eats n’ Sweet Treats for passing our contest info on to her friend Lisa of Surviving Oz. As soon as I saw the Eiffel Tower, I was sold. Thanks to Nikki, CB, Shari and Holly for helping me choose a winner. Love you gals. Seriously.
Next, the recipes for July….
July 7- Logo Contest Winner- Lisa of Surviving Oz chose Tribute to Katherine Hepburn Brownies on pages 96 and 97.
July 14- Denise of Chez Us picked Brioche Plum Tart on pages 54 and 55.
July 21-Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy selected Raspberry Blanc-Manger on pages 398 and 399.
July 28- Lynne of Cafe LynnyLu decided on Vanilla Ice Cream on pages 428 and 429.
Lastly, I am going on vacation from June 26-July 12. The internet access is spotty at best at the summer cottage. Ill try and check in. Have a great 4th of July all!
Much love, Bake on!
Calling all graphic artsy, creative minded people!!!
TWD is holding its first logo contest. Its spring, and Im ready for something new. Logo will be used as a header and avatar on the blog and anything else TWD may do in the future. T-Shirts sure would be nice…
- Anyone may participate. You do not need to be a member! :)
- Logo must include either Tuesdays with Dorie or TWD.
- Please send entries to tuesdayswithdorie AT gmail.com
- All entries are due by midnight EST on May 15th.
and drumroll….. The winner will have the honor of picking the weekly recipe for June 2nd.
Come on now, don’t we all want the ability to choose a recipe?!? I know, I do. Oh wait, I probably don’t count. ;)
Bake on! xo~ laurie