It’s that time again! I am asking that the bakers and cooks from Tuesdays with Dorie and French Fridays with Dorie ban together for a good cause.
As most of you know, my youngest son Colby, has epilepsy. He has been seizure free with the help of medication for almost a year now. Which is amazing! The Epilepsy Foundation is a resource I turned to when Colby was first diagnosed and they have been a valued source of information since. For that reason, I would like to give back to them.
We will be participating in the Family Fun Run/Walk on June 25th. We will run the fundraiser on both blogs from now through the end of May. Last year, with your help, we were able to raise over $1,500. Let’s try to beat that this year!
Click here to donate to our Fun Run/Walk Team.
As a thank you to all who donate, I will be holding a raffle in June. Anyone who donates to this fundraiser will have a chance to win a prize. It will include various cookbooks and a few other goodies. I am still putting the prizes together, so more info on that later this month.
Thank you! Bake on!
It’s almost time for our 2nd annual Epilepsy Foundation fundraiser! Last year with your help, I was able to raise over $1,500. During the month of May, I will be running this fundraiser again for the Epilepsy Foundation’s Family Fun Run/Walk in honor of my son, Colby.
I would like to gather a few items to be raffled off as “prizes” for donating to the cause. If anyone would like to donate a cookbook, gift card or something handmade, please email me at laurie.woodward AT gmail DOT com. I would greatly appreciate anything you guys would like to donate to the cause.
One year ago today, my youngest son, Colby, was diagnosed with epilepsy. It has been a long and sometimes frustrating year. After trying countless medications and dosages, Colby has been seizure free for 3 weeks. This is huge for Colby and our family!
Normally, I do not like to post fundraisers on TWD. However, this cause is really important to me and my family. We will be walking in the Fun Run Walk for Epilepsy in Pittsburgh on June 19th. Please donate to the Epilepsy Foundation in support of our team!
Just a few facts about epilepsy:
- Epilepsy affects over 3 million Americans of all ages – more than multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and Parkinson’s disease combined. Almost 500 new cases of epilepsy are diagnosed every day in the United States. Epilepsy affects 50,000,000 people worldwide.
- In two-thirds of patients diagnosed with epilepsy, the cause is unknown.
- Epilepsy can develop at any age and can be a result of genetics, stroke, head injury, and many other factors.
- In over thirty percent of patients, seizures cannot be controlled with treatment. Uncontrolled seizures may lead to brain damage and death. Many more have only partial control of their seizures.
- The severe epilepsy syndromes of childhood can cause developmental delay and brain damage, leading to a lifetime of dependency and continually accruing costs—both medical and societal.
Edited: I will hold a raffle for all TWD members that donate to the Epilepsy Foundation by June 15th. Click here to donate. The winner will receive an autographed copy of Dorie’s new book, Around My French Table, out this fall AND an autographed copy of Paris Sweets from Dorie herself.